[Distutils] Any interest in Perforce support in pip?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 23:45:44 EST 2018

On 29 January 2018 at 11:54, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> It won't be testable by most developers, if be inclined to say that making
> the VCS layer a supported plugin point would be a better patch to merge.
> That would be testable.

Right, I suspect without that, the Perforce support would end up
intermittently broken, since pre-merge CI wouldn't be able to cover
it.

By contrast, if there was a patch that managed a registry of VCS
scheme handlers, and the existing scheme handlers (git, Mercurial,
bzr, svn) were migrated to that, then:

- pip's own pre-merge CI would ensure that the plugin API itself always worked
- a separate "pip-vcs-p4" project could require Perforce availability
to run their CI

As a sketch of a way that could work, pip could define a new "pip.vcs"
entry point group, where the keys were scheme names, and the values
were object references pointing to handlers for those schemes.

Cheers,
Nick.