[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux2

Janzert janzert at janzert.com
Tue Feb 6 15:33:24 EST 2018

On 2/5/2018 16:01, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Compare:
>
> - manylinux1 vs manylinux2 vs manylinux3
> - manylinux2007 vs manylinux2010 vs manylinux2014

I'll leave this just as a data point (anecdote) from someone that isn't
heavily involved with linux sysadmin or python packaging. Feel free to
make of it what you like. I generally run debian stable and occasionally
ubuntu lts on servers and the latest ubuntu for my workstation.

If I were looking to install a package and one of the binaries available
is manylinux2010 I probably completely pass over that option and don't
even attempt using it. My assumption would be anything that old probably
isn't going to work on my 2016 or newer OS. Whereas manylinux(1, 2, 3) I
would think has a good chance of working on any reasonably modern linux.

If not for having read the discussion here I would have interpreted a
date, especially a date that's the better part of a decade in the past,
completely the wrong way.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that pip should in general be handling
this decision for me and doing the right thing anyway? So it probably
doesn't matter too much.

Janzert