[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux2

Jonathan Helmus jhelmus at anaconda.com
Mon Feb 5 16:17:55 EST 2018

On 02/03/2018 02:11 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>> Docker Images
>> -------------
>>
>> ``manylinux2`` Docker images based on CentOS 6.9 x86_64 and i686 are
>> provided for building binary ``linux`` wheels that can reliably be
>> converted to ``manylinux2`` wheels.  [8]_ These images come with a
>> full compiler suite installed (``gcc``, ``g++``, and ``gfortran``
>> 4.8.2) as well as the latest releases of Python and  ``pip``.
> We can and should use newer compiler versions than that, and probably
> upgrade them again over the course of the image's lifespan, so let's
> just drop the version numbers from the PEP entirely. (Maybe s/6.9/6/
> as well for the same reason.)

Moving to GCC 5 and above will introduced the new libstd++ ABI. [1]  The
manylinux2 standard need to define which ABI compiled libraries should
be compiled against as older version of libstdc++ will not support the
new ABI.  From what I recall the devtoolset packages for CentOS can only
target the older, _GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0, ABI.

Cheers,

     - Jonathan Helmus

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_dual_abi.html