[Distutils] How to eliminate on part of a package?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Apr 26 11:59:29 EDT 2018

frankly, I'd give up n find_packages -- it's not that magic, it's just a
convenience function so you don't need to hand-specify them.

But in this case, you're doing something weird, so I"d just be explicit.

Though what I'd probably really do is make the client and server completely
separate packages. After all, you say your users only want the client side
anyway.

and if the server depends on the client (which I"d hope it doesn't!) then
you can simply make it a dependency.

-CHB

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 1:28 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > If by "top/server tree" you mean that there are more subpackages under
> top.server (not just a server.py file as your diagram shows), then you need
> to filter out all of those subpackages as well, e.g.:
> >
> >     packages = setuptools.find_packages()
> >     if sys.version_info.major < 3:
> >         packages = [
> >             pkg for pkg in packages
> >                 if pkg != "top.server" and not
> pkg.startswith("top.server.")
> >         ]
>
> Thanks, yes, there is another subpackage within top/server, but I
> eliminated it as well. I was simplifying for the email. The raw
> find_packages() output looks like this:
>
> ['tests', 'top', 'tests.python', 'top.client', 'top.server',
> 'top.server.db']
>
> I was excising the last two elements from the returned list, so the
> argument of the packages keyword looked like this:
>
> ['tests', 'top', 'tests.python', 'top.client']
>
> Does the presence of 'top' in the list imply everything under it will
> be copied (I do want 'top', as that's the top level package, not just
> a directory in my repo.)
>
> I'll keep messing with it.
>
> Skip

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov