[Distutils] PEP 571: Any further manylinux2010 concerns or questions?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 07:54:25 EDT 2018

On 30 March 2018 at 20:46, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> PEP link: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/
>
> Thomas Kluyver has amended Mark Williams's PEP 571 to address the
> concerns & questions raised in the previous thread:
>
> * manylinux2 -> manylinux2010:
> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/70cbfda06534aedd6372f489090fdc8e1062de6e#diff-ed6b6d5f928c15489fc02dca72f4b519
> * using glibc 2.12 as a compatibility marker:
> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/d43b984e021eddc11bdbc36863c5c285b473f8a7#diff-ed6b6d5f928c15489fc02dca72f4b519
>
> (We also dropped a potentially misleading aside that could be taken as
> implying inaccurate limitations on Anaconda platform compatibility)
>
> As I expect quite a few folks will be busy for the Easter weekend, I'm
> planning to accept the PEP a week from next Monday (i.e on April 9th)
> if no new concerns or objections are raised between now and then :)

With one small amendment [1] to appropriately credit Geoffrey Thomas
and to provide a reference link for CalVer, I'm happy to report that
I'm accepting the manylinux2010 specification :)

With any luck, the switch to CalVer in the naming scheme will also
lower the barriers for folks interested in defining a manylinux
variant that offers a new enough ABI baseline that it can support
ppc64le and aarch64 in addition to x86_64. (That will still need a
separate PEP to over the specifics, though)

Regards,
Nick.

[1] https://github.com/python/peps/pull/612/files