[Distutils] What's the use case of testpypi?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:53:53 EDT 2017

On 31 October 2017 at 22:49, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2017-10-31 16:25:08 +1000 (+1000), Nick Coghlan wrote:
> > Ideally we'd be recommending
> > https://devpi.net/docs/devpi/devpi/stable/%2Bd/index.html to folks
> looking
> > to develop a robust pre-release artifact testing workflow.
> >
> > While we mention it a couple of times on packaging.python.org [1,2], and
> > include it in the packaging related Non-PyPA Projects list [3], we don't
> > really emphasise that it makes a much better platform for pre-release
> > testing and private experimentation than PyPI itself does (see
> > https://devpi.net/ for an example of a deployed instance with multiple
> > distinct user namespaces).
> >
> > Given Donald's comment about the current test PyPI not being particularly
> > good at any of its roles, perhaps it would make sense to aim to replace
> it
> > with a periodically purged DevPi instance?
> [...]
>
> Do the two share enough common code for successful uploading to a
> devpi instance to be indicative of whether PyPI will accept or
> reject on the grounds of, e.g., invalid trove classifiers (this one
> in particular has been the most common preventable but otherwise
> untestable upload failure our community encounters).

Even if they don't currently, that's likely an easier problem to fix than
working out how to intermingle devpi's "pre-release developer sandbox" user
experience with PyPI's "authoritative release publishing platform" user
experience in one service, especially since the Legacy PyPI -> Warehouse
migration is already encouraging several of those validation features to be
extracted out to helper libraries.

Cheers,
Nick.