[Distutils] Wheel 1.0 roadmap

Alex Grönholm alex.gronholm at nextday.fi
Sun Oct 29 15:06:36 EDT 2017

I am planning for a 1.0.0 release of the "wheel" library. I would like
to start using semver from this point onwards, which in the case of
wheel means that its command line interface should be well defined and
remain backwards compatible. As part of this effort, I've rewritten the
documentation (currently in the "docs-update" branch on Github) to
conform to the PyPA guidelines. Wheel also had some generated API
documentation on ReadTheDocs, but as discussed privately with Daniel
Holth and Nick Coghlan, wheel should not have a public API going forward
so I've deleted that documentation.

I've also taken a hard look at wheel's features and would like to remove
those which I consider to be either useless or harmful. I've added these
tasks as issues on Github.

All the issues that I'd like to get resolved by 1.0.0 have been tagged
with the proper milestone marker here:
https://github.com/pypa/wheel/milestone/1

Feedback is very welcome!

ps. Daniel, if you're reading this, would you mind giving the new docs a
once-over? Also, if you can suggest where to put the "story" page, I'll
link it back to the main index file.