[Distutils] Funding Warehouse Development/Deployment

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 22:30:31 EST 2017

On 29 November 2017 at 00:41, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> As I’m sure most or everyone on this list is aware, the work to replace PyPI
> with Warehouse has been underway for quite awhile. I’m happy to say that
> we’ve now got funding from a MOSS grant that should finally help us get this
> across the finish line and deployed for “real”. You can read more about this
> at https://pyfound.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-psf-awarded-moss-grant-pypi.html
> but the tl;dr is basically we’ve been awarded 170k with the explicit goal of
> that money being to launch Warehouse and shutdown legacy PyPI.

And to provide a bit more info on where that funding is going:

- project management work to help figure out and document what's
actually missing (there's some initial work on this in the Warehouse
repo milestones, but it isn't clear if that's complete)
- design & development work to actually close the capability gaps and
define transition plans where needed

This should include things like figuring out what we're going to do
with the pythonhosted.org situation (updates to pythonhosted.org docs
were broken when the old upload API was shut down, but we don't yet
offer a way for folks to redirect their old docs pages to Read The
Docs or another static HTML hosting service like GitHub Pages)

Cheers,
Nick.