[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:33:57 EDT 2017

On 31 May 2017 at 16:31, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> The hook is also so a tool like tox or TravisCI or twine can produce a sdist that can be uploaded to PyPI or similar.

Understood. The part that the backend can do (these are the files
needed for the build process) is done via the hook. The rest (add
files requested by the user, generate metadata, ...) is backend
independent (or covered by a separate hook/not specified yet in the
case of metadata) and so should be done by the frontend tool.

Paul

PS When did Travis become a frontend? I'd have assumed that to produce
a sdist, Travis would *invoke* a frontend tool, such as "twine sdist".
Or am I unaware of some capability of Travis (highly likely)?