[Distutils] Provisionally accepting PEP 517's declarative build system interface

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon May 29 16:13:53 EDT 2017

On 29 May 2017 at 21:04, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> I guess numpy could just claim that all VCS checkouts are actually
> unpacked sdists...?

Well, my proposal was to allow backends to decide what needs to be
copied. So yes, you could do that under what I suggested (with the
co-operation of the build backend). Legacy setuptools builds wouldn't
provide a "this is what to copy" API, so we'd fall back to copy
everything (or maybe "build sdist", but we could add a get-out clause
in one of the config files, that said we're not allowed to do that on
a per-project basis).

Paul