[Distutils] add "sourceURL" to the metadata 3.0 PEP.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 03:23:06 EDT 2017

On 23 March 2017 at 02:29, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>
wrote:

> > Wes Turner:
> > sourceURL: "git+ssh://git@github.com/pypa/pip@master"
> > sourceURL: "git+https://github.com/pypa/pip@master"
> > Or, we could add "sourceURL" (pending bikeshedding on the property name)
> to the metadata 3.0 PEP.
>
> Why not?
>
> What is the next step to add sourceURL to the pep?

I'm not adding any new metadata fields to the core metadata 3.0 proposal
(I'm only removing them).

This means we're not going to be automating the process of getting an
editable checkout in the core tools any time soon - there are already 100k+
published packages on PyPI, so anyone that seriously wants to do this is
going to have to write their own client utility that attempts to infer it
from the metadata that already exists (probably by building atop distlib,
since that has all the necessary pieces to read the various metadata
formats, both remote and local).

Future metadata extensions might help to make such a tool more reliable,
but *requiring* metadata changes to be made first will just make it useless
(since it wouldn't work at all until after publishers start publishing the
new metadata, which would mean waiting years before it covered a reasonable
percentage of PyPI).

Regards,
Nick.