[Distutils] reproducible builds

David Wilson dw+distutils-sig at hmmz.org
Fri Mar 17 13:49:28 EDT 2017

Hey Robin,

> What happens if other distros decide not to use this environment variable?
> Do I really want distro specific code in the package?

AFAIK this is seeing a great deal of use outside of Debian and even
Linux, for instance GCC also supports this variable.

> In short where does the distro responsibility and package maintainers
> boundary need to be?

I guess it mostly comes down to whether you'd like them to carry the
debt of a vendor patch to implement the behaviour for you in a way you
don't like, or you'd prefer to retain full control. :)  So it's more a
preference than a responsibility.

David