[Distutils] Upcoming change to the packaging.python.org theme (and other PyPA docs)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:15:55 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

Thanks to Jon Parrott's excellent work, the CPython documentation
theme is now pip-installable (directly from git), and there's a PyPA
specific derivative of that at https://github.com/pypa/pypa-docs-theme
(also intended to be installed directly from git rather than pyPI).

The first project to be migrating will be the Python Packaging User
Guide, which Jon has posted a preview instance of at
http://temp.theadora.io/pypug-pydoctheme/index.html

If you'd like to review the related PR, that's at
https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/issues/305, while
the original discussion leading to the theme change is at
https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/issues/304

While the user guide is the first project to switch themes, we expect
that other PyPA projects will also switch over at some point (see the
issue link above for more details on that).

Regards,
Nick.

P.S. We're aware the new theme has limitations on mobile devices, so
if folks would like to address that, the best place to tackle it would
be upstream in the CPython docs theme:
https://github.com/python/python-docs-theme