[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jul 16 19:53:55 EDT 2017

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I think at the moment it's basically only you and me
> who actually have strong opinions, and everyone else is barely
> following.

I've been a somewhat confused bystander in this thread for a
while, and for what it's worth, I think Nathaniel is exactly
right on these points:

1. In-place vs. out-of place and sdist/wheel consistency are
orthogonal issues.

2. Sdist/wheel consistency should be an implied goal that
goes without saying in all cases. Even if a backend can't
always guarantee it, it should make a best effort.

--
Greg