[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 20:30:20 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I proposed the build directory parameter because the copytree hook made no
> sense to me. It is not a perfect substitute but perhaps a configurable
> build directory is nice on its own without having to satisfy all older
> arguments in favor of copytree. I think true in-place builds are the
> oddball (for example 2to3 or any build where sources have the same name as
> outputs needs a build directory to put the translated .py files, otherwise
> it would overwrite the source). What people think of as in-place builds in
> distutils are usually just builds into the default build directory.

That's not the interesting part, it doesn't matter if a build is done in
build/lib*/etc inside the repo or outside, what matters is that the final
build artifacts are placed back in the source tree. So a C extension will
have .c files in the tree, and after an inplace build it will have .c and
.so (but no .o !).

Ralf