[Distutils] A possible refactor/streamlining of PEP 517

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Jul 6 17:54:39 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017, at 10:40 PM, Daniel Holth wrote:
> It might be more natural to pass a build directory for intermediate build artefacts along with the wheel output directory to the build wheel hook. This would remove pip from an awkward position of managing a copy step in the middle of a build and would be more like out of tree builds in other build systems. For example in automake you do out of tree builds by making a new build directory and running the configure script from that directory instead of the source directory. With a fresh directory old builds don't get in the way.
I would also be happy with this. Though if you're trusting the backend to do a tidy build, do you need to pass in a directory for intermediates at all? The backend could just create a temporary directory itself.
I think Paul & Donald have been pretty adamantly against trusting backends to build tidily, though. And this certainly doesn't do anything like Donald wants to ensure that sdists don't omit key files.