[Distutils] RFC 2: PEP 541 - Package Index Name Retention

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:58:43 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Chris Rose <offline at offby1.net> wrote:
> The tricky part there is that "being used" is a tough concept to define.
> Over what time period? What amount of downloading counts as "used"?
>
> I believe these concepts need to be made very clear, because the impact of
> exploitative replacement is pretty severe if it is made to happen.

Would a month  where the old package is made unavailable, but the new
owner is not given access yet be a good compromise ?

It most likely let time the old owner (or old users) to manifest a
decide to "revive" the package if necessary, otherwise give a really
strong signal that if there is still a couple of download, then it
really does not breaks a lot.