[Distutils] Announcement: TLSv1.2 will become mandatory in the future

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 11 13:26:41 EST 2017

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 at 12:51 Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> [SNIP]
>

> It would be really nice if we could deprecate `ssl` (which has a bunch of
> OpenSSL specific stuff in it) and add a new `tls` module that served as an
> implementation agnostic library that would use OpenSSL on *nix,
> SecureTransport on macOS, and SChannel on Windows. However, in the mean
> time there are some folks poking to see about making something pip suitable
> that will enable us to use SecureTransport at least.

I know both Cory Benfield and Christian Heimes brought this up briefly at
the PyCon US 2016 language summit at the end of their SSL discussion, but I
don't think it went anywhere because there was some other discussion that
dominated the end of their talk (I've now tweeted at them about this
discussion).

I know Steve has also said he would love to see a agnostic TLS library so
that Windows' built-in libraries for this stuff could be directly used.
With the predicament this is going to put us in I think it makes it very
prudent to create a tls module for the stdlib.