[Distutils] PEP 517 again

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 11:57:36 EDT 2017

I'm not against renaming a wheel to adjust the tags, but it is a strange
caching strategy. wheel is due for a 'retag' feature that does a more
rigorous job of changing tags.

The build system should name its wheels correctly. Normally the pyNN tag
would be used for a pure distribution and the cpNN tag when there are
extensions. If you want to affect the tagging when called through PEP 517,
edit the source's pyproject.toml / setup.cfg / setup.py.

It will probably always make sense to use pip to build wheels when you want
to build wheels for a project and all its dependencies. Then you can keep
these wheels in a folder for repeatable offline deployment.