[Distutils] PEP 517 again

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 28 12:29:44 EDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Donald, what do you think? IIRC, you were most keen on going
> sdist->wheel where possible, and I don't think you've commented on
> Paul's suggestion yet (apologies if I've overlooked a response).
>

> I still think it should, and prefer pip to attempt to build a sdist prior
> to building a wheel when we’re coming from a VCS directory. I think that is
> going to be the most robust mechanism with the least amount of surprising
> behavior for end users.

why? even as it stands, doesn't setuptools dump everything into the build
dir anyway? The "Creating of an sdist" really seems like a build-system
problem, not a package manager problem to me.

> "when we’re coming from a VCS directory."

whether this is a VCS directory or some other source seems to me like
something pip should not need to know...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov