[Distutils] Fwd: Re: PEP 517 again

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 12:26:43 EDT 2017

build_dir:

bdist_wheel sometimes has a problem with unclean builds. admittedly this
could be fixed.
pip copies entire source tree, including unclean build/ directory, to tmpdir
bdist_wheel runs in tmpdir, including copied leftover build/ data in wheel

by including the build_dir parameter, a nearly universal build system
concept, pip gets an elegant way to ask for either a clean or unclean build.

sdist optional:

enscons can use .hg manifest instead of MANIFEST.in. what is this git
nonsense?
user has decided to build from an unpacked sdist
impossible to create new sdist from unpacked sdist