[Distutils] Fwd: Re: PEP 517 again

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Aug 24 10:26:47 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017, at 03:05 PM, xoviat wrote:
>  During development, you want to use an editable install, which does
>  modify the source tree.
I think it was before you joined the discussion, but editable installs
came up before and have deliberately been left out of PEP 517 because of
the complexities. I am very keen that we do not go back into that
discussion.
I particularly want to hear from Nick, Daniel, Donald and Paul on their
understanding of the build_directory parameter. There were reasons why
it got added, and even if those reasons no longer seem so convincing to
me, it's only going to be removed again if we can reach a consensus on
working without it.
Thomas