[Distutils] [issue166] Install path changes when data_files is present

Salvo Tomaselli setuptools at bugs.python.org
Mon Aug 21 06:29:56 EDT 2017

New submission from Salvo Tomaselli:

I have a python thing that I'm installing in a custom path, using

setup.py install --root=/tmp/turi13 --install-purelib=custom/path

However, if the setup.py file contains a data_files field, then, unless i also specify --install-data, the --install-purelib parameter gets ignored.

I think an error should be generated and the entire thing should fail instead. Same for all of those --install-* parameters.

messages: 791
nosy: ltworf
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Install path changes when data_files is present