[Distutils] status check on PEP 517

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 06:14:17 EDT 2017

On 15 August 2017 at 15:11, 12345 67890 <xoviat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any update on when the PEP will be completed?

>From my perspective, the main item from the last round of discussions
that has yet to be explicitly added to the PEP is the ability for
build_sdist and build_wheel to raise NotImplementedError to indicate
that an operation has failed for aniticipated reasons and to provide
an error message explaining the problem.

There were a couple of other items where the PEP authors weren't
necessarily sure that what was in the PEP was exactly what they wanted
to propose implementing, but my own view on those aspects is that
what's currently in the PEP is fine, as the last round of discussions
cleaned up some key problems where the way the explicitly out-of-tree
build support was designed in earlier versions of the API didn't align
with the way most build systems actually work (i.e. they expect to be
given the target directory as a build setting, allowing the build
system itself to decide exactly how to handle that).

Cheers,
Nick.