[Distutils] CentOS5 is EOL, impact on manylinux1?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Apr 3 18:30:35 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> CentOS5 is EOL now and the repositories have been taken offline. Does this
> impact manylinux1? Do we need to work on a manylinux2?

Ugh, if we don't have access to the repositories then the existing
manylinux1 docker images will keep working, but we won't be able to
rebuild or otherwise modify them :-(.

Todo:

- PEP update or a new PEP: I think we can define manylinux2 and
manylinux3 as basically the same as manylinux1, except:
  - dropping ncurses as an allowed library
(https://github.com/pypa/manylinux/issues/94)
  - bumping up the version for glibc and friends
  - I guess adding ppc support for manylinux3, while we're at it?

- pip patch to sniff manylinux2/3 compatibility -- should be pretty
trivial since most of the code will be shared with manylinux1, see
pip/pep425tags.py

- update auditwheel to handle the new policies -- shouldn't be too
hard since auditwheel already breaks this out into a "policy file";
maybe a bit of UX work to figure out how to pick the appropriate
policy. (I guess ideally the default should be to use the smallest
manylinux that it detects compatibility with, since every
manylinux2-compatible package is also manylinux3-compatible, etc.)

- new docker images -- should be able to re-use a fair amount of stuff
from the manylinux1 docker images, but there will be differences in
the details; hard to predict how much work this will be.

I'm happy to provide pointers but can't realistically take on much or
any of this myself right now.

-n