[Distutils] Travis-CI is not open source. Was: Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 3 13:17:03 EDT 2016

On Nov 03, 2016, at 12:54 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>This is also an area where I'm fine with recommending freemium
>solutions if they're the lowest barrier to entry option for new users,
>and "Use GitHub + Travis CI" qualifies on that front.

I won't rehash the GitHub/GitLab debate, but in some of my projects (hosted on
GH) I've had to ditch Travis because of limitations on that platform.
Specifically, I needed to run various tests on an exact specification of
various Ubuntu platforms, e.g. does X run on an up-to-date Ubuntu Y.Z?

I originally used Docker for this, but our projects had additional
constraints, such as needing to bind-mount, which aren't supported on the
Travis+Docker platform.  So we ended up ditching the Travis integration and
hooking our test suite into the Ubuntu autopkgtest system (which is nearly
identical to the Debian autopkgtest system but runs on Ubuntu infrastructure).

Python may not be affected by similar constraints, but it is worth keeping in
mind.  Travis isn't a perfect technical solution for all projects, but it may
be good enough for Python.

Cheers,
-Barry