[Distutils] Current Python packaging status (from my point of view)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 2 14:49:40 EDT 2016

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Sure. Do whatever you want, I don’t think anyone here thinks you
> absolutely must use pip. :) [1]

indeed -- and IIUC, part of the thrust of Nick's post was that different
package managers serve different use-cases -- so we do need more than one.

> My point is just that even if you narrow yourself down to CPython 3.6.0
> there are still variations that can cause problems so each project
> individually ends up needing to decide what they support. Often times
> “unsupported” variations will still work unless they go out of their way to
> break it, but not always.

yup -- when I say I don't support non-conda installs, it doesn't mean my
software wont work without it -- it means you're going to need to figure
out how to compile those ugly dependencies yourself :-)

> [1] There seems to be some animosity among pip supporters and conda
> supports, or at least a perception that there is.

for my part, I'd say "frustration" more than animosity. I see a lot of
folks struggling with tools that don't serve their needs, without awareness
that there are better options.

And some of those folks want me to support them -- and I do want to support
my users.

I’d just like to say that this isn’t really shared (to my knowledge) by the
> development teams of either project. I think everyone involved thinks folks
> should use whatever solution best allows them to solve whatever problem
> they are having.

I agree -- Python is a great community!

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov