[Distutils] matrix: python_versions x supported_plattforms, cross-compiling vs VM

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:34:30 EDT 2016

So this was a problem with eggs too. Let's say ZODB 3.0.1 was just
released. You are happily using 3.0.0, the next version is a minor upgrade,
but there are no precompiled packages for 3.0.1, so your build breaks on
Friday morning when you are trying to deploy. Compiling it yourself is not
an option because you are on Windows XP, and the compiler is so hard to
install that you would need to hire a consultant to get it done; only to
bridge the 1-week gap between a new ZODB release and the precompiled eggs
for your platform.

If you find yourself in that situation then you would appreciate an easy
way to use the newest available binaries rather than the newest available
source, or perhaps to install directly from your cached binaries without
going through the package index. Manually pinning the older version just to
get the binary is going to ruin your day.

With wheel we can at least approximate this by doing a two-phase install,
first dumping all your project's dependencies as wheels to a wheel
directory, and then only pointing the installer at the wheel directory for
the deployment.

Daniel