[Distutils] If you want wheel to be successful, provide a build server.

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Wed May 25 03:57:47 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Thomas Güttler <
guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:

> I do that for Windows because installing VS is an order of magnitude more
> difficult than installing gcc on Linux/UNIX but again: not willing to do
> extra work on that front (sorry).

He may accept a PR with Travis configuration to build the wheels though ...
Using that manylinux docker image should be easy enough on Travis.​

​On the other hand, there might be weird dependencies and the wheel don't
build well on the manylinux container - so there's still some extra effort​
for the maintainer.

A simpler package would probably make a better discussion.

PS. To  build all the manylinux wheels for a package you only need to run
something like:
docker run -itv $(pwd):/code quay.io/pypa/manylinux1_x86_64 bash -c 'set
-eux; cd code; rm -rf wheelhouse; for variant in /opt/python/*; do rm -rf
dist build *.egg-info && $variant/bin/python setup.py clean --all
bdist_wheel; auditwheel repair dist/*.whl; done; rm -rf dist build
*.egg-info'

​

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro