[Distutils] PEP for specifying build dependencies

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Tue May 10 21:57:05 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 8:47 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On May 10, 2016, at 9:43 PM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think "build-system" is more descriptive and the more descriptive we
>> can be, the better. (Think of choosing descriptive method and
>> attribute names as well as variables.)
>
> I’m in favor of “build”, mostly because I think
>
> [package.build-system]
> requires = [“setuptools”, “wheel”]
>
> is uglier than

Oh, absolutely it's ugly, but reading it aloud is what makes me prefer
it. "The package's build-system requires setuptools, and wheel"
Granted, Ruby is the perfect example of trying to make something read
perfectly like English being a terrible idea when taken to extremes,
but I don't think that will happen here.

Other than that, the PEP looks fine. I'm anti-TOML but for reasons
that don't deserve being brought up on the mailing list. It's the best
option of a bunch of bad options. The rest of the PEP looks great.