[Distutils] who is BDFL for the boostrap/requires declaration? (was: moving things forward)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat May 7 15:15:48 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> What fields there will be and their semantics ...
>
>    1. Format version (so just deciding on a name -- which also includes
>       whether it should be top-level or in a subsection -- and initial value)
>       2. The actual bootstrap field (so its name and what to do if a
>       dependency is already installed but at a version that doesn't match what
>       the bootstrap specification asks for)
>
> Am I missing anything?

So what is this new configuration file supposed to cover? All the package
meta-data? i.e. everything that would be needed by a package manager to
properly install the package?

or the build meta-data: everything needed by the build system to build the
package?

both in one file?

And am missing something? how is this about "bootstrapping" -- to me,
bootstrapping is when you need X to build X. Isn't this just regular old
configuration: you need x,y to build z?

-CHB

> And since I keep pushing on this I'm willing to be a co-author on any PEP
> if there's no hard deadline in getting the PEP written (i.e. I can help
> write the prose, but I don't have the time to do the coding as this will be
> the fourth PEP I have going in some state; got to catch up to Nick's 35
> PEPs somehow ;).

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov