[Distutils] Two ways to download python packages - I prefer one

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Mon May 2 05:25:48 EDT 2016

Am 02.05.2016 um 09:14 schrieb Noah Kantrowitz:
> The correct way to do that these days is `pip install -e .` AFAIK. Setuptools should be considered an implementation detail of installs at best, not really used directly anymore (though entry points are still used by some projects, so this isn't really a strict dichotomy).

You say it is an "implementation detail". That's ok, I am user, and I don't want to know everything.

There are two ways to handle the implementation detail. I ask myself: why?

If I use `pip install -e mylib` and mylib uses installs_requires=[...] in its setup.py, what happens?

I guess there will be two ways the packages get installed on my system. Is my assumption correct?

Is this current behaviour intentional?

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--