[Distutils] Request for comment: Proposal to change behaviour of pip install

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 02:51:31 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Pradyun Gedam <pradyunsg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello List!
>
> I feel it’s fine to hold back the other changes for later but the
> upgrade-strategy change should get shipped out to the world as quickly as
> possible. Even how the change is exposed the user can also be discussed
> later.

What do you mean by "ship" if you say the behavior can still be changed
later?

> I request the list members to focus on *only* the change of the default
> upgrade strategy to be non-eager.
>
> Does anyone have any concerns regarding the change of the default upgrade
> strategy to be non-eager? If not, let’s get *just* that shipped out as
> soon as possible.

The concerns were always with how to change it, one of:
(1) add "pip upgrade"
(2) change behavior of "pip install --upgrade"
(3) change behavior of "pip install"

Your sentence above suggests you're asking for agreement on (2), but I
think you want agreement on (3) right? At least that was the conclusion of
your PEP-style writeup.

Personally I don't have a preference anymore, as long as a choice is made
so we don't remain stuck where we are now.

Ralf