[Distutils] Request for comment: Proposal to change behaviour of pip install

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 01:29:20 EDT 2016

On 25 June 2016 at 21:59, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> Lastly, by defaulting to non-recursive upgrades we're putting the
> burden on our users to identify sensitive components and manage them
> much more carefully.

Huh, true. I was looking at this proposal from the point of view of
container build processes where the system packages are visible from
the venv, and there the "only install what I tell you, and only
upgrade what you absolutely have to" behaviour is useful (especially
since you're mainly doing it in the context of generating a new
requirements.txt that is used to to the *actual* build).

However, I now think Robert's right that that's the wrong way to look
at it - I am *not* a suitable audience for the defaults, since we can
adapt our automation pipeline to whatever combination of settings pip
tells us we need to get the behaviour we want (as long as we're given
suitable deprecation periods to adjust to any behavioural changes, and
we can largely control that ourselves by controlling when we upgrade
pip, including patching it if absolutely necessary).

By contrast, for folks that *aren't* using something like VersionEye
or requires.io to stay on top of security updates, "always run the
latest version of everything, and try to keep up with that upgrade
treadmill" really is the safest way to go, and that's what the current
eager upgrade behaviour provides.

Cheers,
Nick.