[Distutils] Proposal: using /etc/os-release in the "platform tag" definition for wheel files

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Jun 22 15:21:11 EDT 2016

There are still use cases for distro-specific wheels, though -- some
examples include Raspbian wheels (manylinux1 is x86/x86-64 only), Alpine
Linux wheels (manylinux1 is glibc only), internal deploys that want to
build on Ubuntu 14.04 and deploy on 14.04 and don't need the hassle of
generating manylinux-style binaries but would like a more meaningful
platform tag than "linux", and for everyone who wants to extend wheel
metadata to allow dependencies on external distro packages then having
distro-specific wheels is probably a necessary first step.

-n