[Distutils] Docker, development, buildout, virtualenv, local/global install

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 20:47:58 EDT 2016

On 16 June 2016 at 05:01, Jim Fulton <jim at jimfulton.info> wrote:
> I'm a fan of docker, but it seems to me that build workflow is a an
> unsolved problem if you need build tools that you don't want be
> included at run time.

For OpenShift's source-to-image (which combines builder images with a
git repo to create your deployment image [1]), they tackled that
problem by setting up a multi-step build pipeline where the first
builder image created the binary artifact (they use a WAR file in
their example, but it can be an arbitrary tarball since you're not
doing anything with it except handing it to the next stage of the
pipeline), and then a second builder image that provides the required
runtime environment and also unpacks the tarball into the right place.

For pure Python (Ruby, JavaScript, etc) projects you'll often be able
to get away without the separate builder image, but I suspect that
kind of multi-step model would be a better fit for the way buildout
works.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://github.com/openshift/source-to-image