[Distutils] Docker, development, buildout, virtualenv, local/global install

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Wed Jun 15 20:10:16 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:57 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Of course It still applies to Docker. You still have an operating system
> inside that container and unless you install zero Python using packages
> from the system then all of that can still conflict with your own
> application’s dependencies.

​You're correct, theoretically. But in reality is best to not stick a dozen
services or apps in a single docker image. What's the point of using docker
if you're having a single container with everything in it? Eg: something
smells if you need to run a supervisor inside the container.

If we're talking about python packages managed by the os package manager
... there are very few situations where it makes sense to use them (eg:
pysvn is especially hard to build), but other than that? Plus it's easier
to cache some wheels than to cache some apt packages when building images,
way easier.
​

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro