[Distutils] Docker, development, buildout, virtualenv, local/global install

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Wed Jun 15 17:28:36 EDT 2016

Op 15-06-16 om 11:31 schreef Ionel Cristian Mărieș via Distutils-SIG:
> ... I wrote some ideas about that here
> <https://blog.ionelmc.ro/2016/05/07/dealing-with-docker/#optimizing-the-build-process>
> if you have patience (it's a bit too long read).

I definitively have the patience for such a long read.
Reading it definitively also made sure I won't ever see Docker as a
potential magic bullet :-)

> Basically what I'm saying is that you got no choice but to mount stuff
> in a development scenario :-)
>
> Regarding the buildout problem, I suspect a src-layout can solve the
> problem:
>
>   * you only mount ./src inside container
>   * you can happily run buildout inside the container (assuming it don't
>     touch any of the code in src)

src/* for the mr.developer checkouts and my_package_dir/ for the actual
code. And take care when you're downloading/developing javascript stuff,
too, as that might also be in another directory.

Ok... I'll have to watch out. Good to have a potential working solution,
though.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/