[Distutils] How to register my python package which relys on the output of other project on pypi

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:05:05 EDT 2016

My pysdl2-cffi project has a dependency ':sys_platform=="win32"':
['sdl2_lib'] meaning 'depends on sdl2_lib only on Windows' (see its
setup.py). sdl2_lib is a specially made wheel that only contains DLL's for
Windows. On other platforms we don't try to install sdl2_lib, assuming you
have already installed SDL2 some other way.

If I wanted to distribute the Linux so's on PyPy I could upload a second
wheel with the 'manylinux1' tag, and pip would choose the right one.
Distributing Linux binaries is more complicated than for Windows, see PEP
513 and https://pypi.python.org/pypi/auditwheel