[Distutils] Contributing money to package authors/maintainers via PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 23:24:55 EDT 2016

On 26 July 2016 at 04:52, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> note: for a higher level of support, the PSF _could_ follow the numfocus
> approach:
>
> NumFocus is a properly set-up non-profit that can act as a gateway for
> particular projects, so that the individual projects don't need to set up
> all that accounting and legal infrastructure:
>
> http://www.numfocus.org/information-on-fiscal-sponsorship.html
>
> However, there is still a pretty big barrier to entry to become a sponsored
> organization, as there should be.

The PSF has considered this, but there's not a lot of value we could
provide above and beyond other organisations that already do this for
open source projects in general. For example:

- Software Freedom Conservancy
- Software in the Public Interest
- Outercurve Foundation

However, similar to the more direct crowdfunding options, pointing
folks towards organisations like these via the publisher-facing pages
in Warehouse is certainly something that could be done, especially as
their download counts start to grow.

Cheers,
Nick.