[Distutils] [final version?] PEP 513 - A Platform Tag for Portable Linux Built Distributions

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 08:45:54 EST 2016

On 30 January 2016 at 08:58, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I applied both this iteration and the previous one to the PEPs repo in
> order to review it, so modulo caching issues, this latest draft is
> live now.
>
> I also think this version covers everything we need it to cover, so
> I'm going to mark it as Active and point to this post as the
> resolution :)

I had to see PEP 1 to understand what "Active" means but now I see
that it means that this PEP is approved but subject to indefinite
tinkering:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-review-resolution

Brilliant, good work everyone! I'm looking forward to this.

So AFAICT the actions are:
1) PyPI allows uploading wheels with manylinux tag.
2) pip updated to recognise these wheels on the appropriate Linux systems.
3) Packagers make and upload wheels

Is there also a policy of informing python-dev once a PEP is approved
here? PEP 1 is ambiguous on that point but something like this really
needs to be known about more widely than this list.

--
Oscar