[Distutils] Non English Speaking Users of PyPI - I need Help!

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Jan 26 12:16:16 EST 2016

Hello!

As many of you are aware there has been an effort to replace the current PyPI with a new, improved PyPI. This project has been codenamed Warehouse and has been progressing nicely. However we’ve run into a bit of an issue when deciding what to support that we’re not feeling super qualified to make an informed decision on.

The new PyPI is going to support translated content (for the UI elements, not for what people upload to there), although we will not launch with any translations actually added besides English. Currently the translation engine we’re using (l20n.js) does not support anything but “Evergreen” browsers (browsers that constantly and automatically update) which means we don’t have support for older versions of IE. My question to anyone who is, or is familiar with places where English isn’t the native language, how big of a deal is this if we only support newer browsers for translations?

If you can weigh in on the issue for this (https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/881) that would be great! If you know someone who might have a good insight, please pass this along to them as well.

Thanks!

Donald Stufft