[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux1

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:04:09 EST 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Robert T. McGibbon <rmcgibbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> However, it does suggest a possible alternative approach to naming
>> these compatibility subsets: what if the name of this particular
>> platform compatibility tag was something like "linux-sciabi1", rather
>> than "manylinux1"?
>

> That's an interesting idea, but I personally don't see the manylinux1 list
> as particularly
> "scientific". If anything, I'd call it "minimal".

Yes, I agree, I don't think 'linux-sciabi1" would differentiate this
from other ways of building wheels.  For example, I can't see why this
wouldn't be a perfectly reasonable way to proceed for someone doing
audio or video.   The difference that "manylinux" was designed to
capture is the idea of having a single set of wheels for many versions
of Linux, rather than wheels specific to particular distributions or
packaged versions of external libraries.

Cheers,

Matthew