[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux1

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:48:16 EST 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:42 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> nice, idea, but....
>
>     libX11.so.6
>     libXext.so.6
>     libXrender.so.1
>     libGL.so.1
>
> These are all X11, yes? pretty much any workstation will have these, but in
> general, servers won't.
>
> Someone on this thread suggested that that's OK -- don't expect a GUI
> package to work on a linux box without a GUI. But some of these libs might
> get used for stuff like back-end rendering, etc, so would be expected to
> work on a headless box. I think Anaconda an Canopy have gotten away with
> this because both of their user bases are primarily desktop data analysis
> type of stuff -- not web services, web servers, etc.

Someone administering a headless server will surely be able to cope
with that problem, and the trade-off of convenience for the large
majority of users seems like a good one to me.

> Then there is the "additional libs" problem. Again, Anaconda and Canopy can
> do this because they are providing those libs - lots of stuff you'd
> generally expect to be there in a typical *nix system stuff like libpng,
> libjpeg, who knows what they heck else.
>
> So without a plan to provide all that stuff -- I"m not sure of the utility
> of this -- how are you gong to get PIL/Pillow to work? statically link up
> the ying-yang? Not sure the linux world will take to that.

That's exactly how the current OSX Pillow wheels work, and they've
been working fine for a while now.  There just aren't that many
libraries to worry about for the vast majority of packages.

Cheers,

Matthew