[Distutils] devpi-server/web-3.0: generalized mirroring, speed, new backends

Jamiel Almeida jamiel.almeida at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 11:48:20 EST 2016

Holger, great work! I wanted to send kudos your way and did it at the
indiegogo campaign, take pictures and have fun!

I wanted to ask if there was an xmlrpc api like pypi where we have
package_releases along with other similar calls? I use those sometimes
for helper scripts and dashboards and would like to have that in the
devpi instance too, tho I have not done my homework on checking code
yet I have not found it in the docs.

Anyways, awesome work, and keep rocking!

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:13 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> The 3.0 releases of devpi-server and devpi-web, the python packaging and
> work flow system for handling release files, documentation, testing and staging,
> bring several major improvements:
>
> - Due to popular demand we now support generalized mirroring, i.e. you can
>   create mirror indexes which proxy and cache release files from other pypi
>   servers.  Even if the mirror goes down, pip-installing will continue to work
>   with your devpi-server instance.  Previously we only supported mirroring
>   of pypi.python.org.  Using it is simple:
>   http://doc.devpi.net/3.0/userman/devpi_indices.html#mirror-index
>
> - For our enterprise clients we majorly worked on improving the speed
>   of serving simple pages which is now several times faster with
>   private indexes.  We now also support multiple worker processes
>   both on master and replica sites.
>   http://doc.devpi.net/3.0/adminman/server.html#multiple-server-instances
>
> - For our enterprise clients we also introduced a new backend
>   architecture which allows to store server state in sqlite or
>   postgres (which is supported through a separately released plugin).
>   The default remains to use the "sqlite" backend and store files
>   on the filesystem. See
>   http://doc.devpi.net/3.0/adminman/server.html#storage-backend-selection
>
> - we started a new "admin" manual for devpi-server which describes
>   features relating to server configuration, replication and security
>   aspects.  It's a bit work-in-progress but should already be helpful.
>   http://doc.devpi.net/3.0/adminman/
>
> - A few option names changed and we also released devpi-client-2.5
>   where we took great care to keep it forward and backward compatible
>   so it should run against devpi-server-2.1 and upwards all the way
>   to 3.0.
>
> - The "3.0" major release number increase means that you will need to run
>   through an export/import cycle to upgrade your devpi-2.X installation.
>
> For more details, see the changelog and the referenced documentation
> with the main entry point here:
>
>     http://doc.devpi.net
>
> Many thanks to my partner Florian Schulze and to the several companies
> who funded parts of the work on 3.0.  We are especially grateful for
> their support to not only cover their own direct issues but also support
> community driven demands.  I'd also like to express my gratitude to
> Rackspace and Jesse Noller who provide VMs for our open source work and
> which help a lot with the testing of our releases.
>
> We are open towards entering more support contracts to make sure you get
> what you need out of devpi, tox and pytest which together provide a
> mature tool chain for professional python development.  And speaking of
> showing support, if you or your company is interested to donate to or
> attend the largest python testing sprint in history with a particular
> focus to pytest or tox, please see
>
>     https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/python-testing-sprint-mid-2016/

> [...]

Jamiel Almeida