[Distutils] SOABI for Unicode ABI on 2.x (was: wheel 0.27.0 released)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 22:26:22 EST 2016

On 6 February 2016 at 21:26, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2016 at 09:18:39PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 6 February 2016 at 20:35, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
>> > FWIW the rationale Pyenv gave when they rejected a bug asking for UCS-4
>> > builds by default was "we prefer to follow upstream defaults".
>>
>> In this case, the old defaults are dubious, but the upstream fix
>> eliminated the relevant setting. Historically, it didn't really
>> matter, since very few people were building their own Python for
>> Linux.
>>
>> However, if that was pyenv's only reason for rejecting a switch to
>> wide unicode builds, it may be worth trying again, this time pointing
>> them to PEP 513 and the wide-build default for Python 2.7 wheels in
>> the manylinux build environment.
>
> Here's the issue, if you'd like to try: https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv/issues/257
>
> (I don't use pyenv myself; all I know about this issue is from helping
> other people debug problems on IRC.)

The issue has been reopened:
https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv/issues/257#issuecomment-181076545

However, they're still going to have a potential compatibility problem
to deal with, since extensions built against a narrow Python build
won't run against a wide one. As such, putting a narrow Python 2.7
build into the build environment and encouraging folks creating Python
2.7 wheels to upload both variants may still be a preferable option.

Cheers,
Nick.