[Distutils] SOABI for Unicode ABI on 2.x (was: wheel 0.27.0 released)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Feb 5 14:32:41 EST 2016

On Feb 5, 2016 9:54 AM, "Nate Coraor" <nate at bx.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2016 8:47 AM, "Nate Coraor" <nate at bx.psu.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> [...]
>> > - Add SOABI tags to platform-specific wheels built for Python 2.X
(Pull Request
>> >   #55, Issue #63, Issue #101)
>>
>> I can't quite untangle all the documents linked from this PR, so let me
ask here :-). Does this mean that python 2.x extension wheels now can and
should declare whether they're assuming the 16- or 32-bit Unicode ABI
inside the abi field? And if so, should PEP 513 be updated to allow for
both options to be used with manylinux1? (Right not manylinux1 just
implies/requires a UCS4 build, for older pythons where this matters.)

>> -n
>

> It isn't declared, wheel determines the ABI of the interpreter upon which
the wheel is being built and tags it accordingly. So yes, I think a PEP 513
update is appropriate. As to whether the manylinux1 Docker images should
include UCS-2 Pythons is a separate question, though. If there's interest,
I can provide statistics of how many of Galaxy's UCS-2 Linux eggs were
downloaded over time.

My assumption was that we should include the UCS2 option in the docker
image so that we could build some wheels so that we could put them on pypi
so that we could get some statistics on usage so that we could decide
whether it was worth including in the docker image ;-).

Anyway, yes, I at least would be interested in seeing these statistics :-)

-n