[Distutils] setup_requires: the obvious option(?)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Aug 30 16:06:23 EDT 2016

> On Aug 30, 2016, at 2:32 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> name, version, packages, install_requires, extras_require, description, license, classifiers, keywords, author, url, entry_points.

Out of these, a number of them are regularly dynamic for people’s setup.py as is. The version number is often dynamically computed based on things like git tags, packages can be computed based on Python version, install_requires and extras_requires regularly get computed based on things like Python version, OS, etc (although environment markers eases some of this) but also things like “We support Numpy >= for building from source, but once you’ve built from source you only support Numpy >= VERSION_YOU_BUILT_AGAINST”.

Outside of “name”, it’s not entirely unreasonable to find reasons why a lot of things need to be dynamic. Although there’s a difference in what needs to be dynamic when pulling from a VCS and when pulling from a sdist, and currently there’s not really a whole lot of difference in terms of capability or how they are handled.

—
Donald Stufft