[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 12:17:23 EDT 2016

On 22 August 2016 at 16:49, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> - encouraging use of Windows Package Management over manual installer execution
>
> The rationale for why the Windows formats get to stay when the other
> platform specific formats are being dropped is implied by that last
> line: we're expecting users on other platforms to be more comfortable
> with using platform specific tooling to manage platform specific
> formats (e.g. the system package manager on Linux, homebrew on Mac OS
> X).

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Current usage on Windows (for
people who aren't already using wheels) is to run a bdist_msi or
bsidt_wininst installer.

You seen to be suggesting "encouraging use of Windows Package
Management" over this approach, but I'm not sure what precisely that
means?
Paul