[Distutils] greater compression on pypi?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 22 10:59:15 EDT 2016

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> pypi is now free to re-compress without additional input from the publisher. Both .gz and .lzma versions etc. could be offered.

I am not opposed to changes to the file format to enable better compression, that being said I’m not particularly motivated by the ability to have PyPI re-compress things. It’s not something I can see PyPI ever taking advantage of. In addition to that, you can’t really just change the meaning of the existing things, like the #sha256=…. because you’ll break every released version of pip to date (for example).

—
Donald Stufft